Monday, December 17, 2007

and may she RIP

I thought this deserved its own post:

Blueprint has folded.

Sigh. Although the magazine had its faults (a front-of-book too frenetic and random to be read easily, too much fashion in a so-called shelter publication), it was also fairly prolific (I think) with its use of typography, design, and content (it featured it's editor in chief's teensy-weensy Manhattan apartment, for one).

This is the latest in a many great magazines to sigh its last breath. Jane, Budget Living, Organic Style are three of my favorites that have recently shuttered. House & Garden, perhaps the grand dame of high-end shelter pubs, shut down a few months ago. Travel+Leisure Family, a mag I worked on while an ASME intern, couldn't survive out there on the newsstands all alone and gave up. There's even a website dedicated to the death of magazines. How morbid is that?

What do you think? Is it a terrible time to be in publishing (if Martha can't make it, who can?), or are these all just magazines being terribly unsuccessful finding an audience? Or, do I just have terrible taste in magazines, thus all my favorites die?

2 comments:

Lexi said...

I got my sister a subscription to Blueprint because she and her live-in-sin boyfriend just got a house. Then I got a note saying all the new subscribers will be getting MS Weddings, instead.

I'm getting smacked for Christmas, I can promise you that.

rachel. said...

yuck. i'm a subscriber, too. had just renewed. and, i'm off to marthastewart.com to cancel that ...